What Do I Do?
In the event of a suspected mushroom
poisoning incident contact one of the following:
- Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center
- Universal Poison Center
*Your call will be routed to the appropriate Poison Center for
the area code from which your call is made.
Other actions to take:
- Save all available sample mushrooms. Do not wash or trim. Place
in waxed paper or a brown paper bag and refrigerate. Intentional
or accidental mixed ingestions often occur so all specimens are
- If possible, take a digital photograph of the type
of mushroom consumed that can be emailed to the mushroom consultant.
- Save all leftovers of the food dish that was consumed by the
victim to assist in identifying the offending mushroom.
- After contacting the Poison Center, you will be advised whether
or not to take the victim to the nearest medical facility. If
so advised, take along a sample of the mushroom consumed or a
sample of the food dish consumed.