We will be hosting 3 forays per week from July to September this year, read on for foray guidelines and rules!
Forays are organized, (usually) ticketed outings for CMS members. If the foray is ticketed, you can find a link to claim a free ticket in an email sent to all members before the foray.
Participants normally meet at a designated location and carpool to the foray destination.
- Our forays are a benefit for CMS members. If you have an individual membership and plan to bring your partner and/or children, please consider upgrading to a family membership. It costs only $10 more. If you want to invite your friends to forays, we suggest you encourage them to join CMS. If your membership has lapsed, please renew. If you are not a member, you really should join.
- Because of high demand by CMS members, we ask that you sign up for no more than one foray per weekend (Saturday or Sunday). Weekday forays are not getting oversubscribed, so it is fine to register for both one weekday and one weekend foray (at least for now)
- If you learn you are unable to participate in a foray after you register, please provide 48 hours notice so that another member to take your spot. Our signup system has a feature that notifies the waitlist as soon as a spot opens. If you do not provide notice and fail to show up, you will only be waitlisted for future forays.
- We always get cancellations, so please consider using the waitlist option if the foray registration is shown as full. When a cancellation occurs, the signup program immediately notifies the waitlist of an opening via email.
- Although we absolutely love dogs, we ask that you do not bring yours unless the foray announcement specifically says they are invited or you get permission from the foray leader ahead of time.
- You can register multiple adults under one name, and children under 15 do not need to be included in your count.
A Foray leader and assistants will provide instruction on appropriate methods of collecting, after which the participants fan out in small groups to search for specimens. At an appointed time, they reconvene and the leaders provide further instruction in correct procedures for identification.
Duration & Expectations
Forays usually last about 4-5 hours including travel time.
Forays involve light physical exertion sometimes at high altitudes.
Remember to bring water & sunscreen
Remember to come prepared & double check your belongings
Review our foray gear guides
Please read our information on things to bring & what not to bring.
Be sure to check your email for notification from CMS before attending your scheduled foray. The latest changes of time and meeting location of forays will be posted in each event.
If you need to cancel your scheduled foray attendance, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org so another person may attend.